This first, sepia-toned section of the mural depicts Market Street in the mid 1920's. There used to be four sets of streetcar tracks, and a near constant stream of streetcars - one never had to wait for public transit on Market Street (see period photos below). Learn about this transit period, nicknamed "the Roar of the Four," on Market Street Railway's excellent website. The tall building on the left is the San Francisco Call building, which still exists but had its ornate dome removed in 1938 and replaced with a squared top. The other tall building on the right is the still existing Humboldt Bank building, once prominent and now dwarfed by surrounding skyscrapers.
click below for details and hisoric reference photos.